Sunday, March 3, 2013

Water Drops


    Today I tried something a little bit different and a little abstract. I took pictures of water. At first you may think that pictures of water aren't very interesting but I discovered some pretty cool things to do with it. First I set up my camera on a tripod with weight attached so that my heavy and expensive dslr wouldn't tip over. I also attached and external flash. Then I set a dish of water with paper around it to prevent shadows under the lens. I first started by practicing my timing and played around with plain water but found it difficult to make look very interesting so I wanted to addd some other color. For this I turned to food coloring. 
     As I added drops of food coloring to the dish of water, mini splashes would occur and I tried to freeze these moments. It is very difficult to time but eventually I got it down and took some good shots. What I find awesome about these pictures is that they are of something as simple as water but remain abstract and interesting with the use of colors. Some of the pictures even appear more like solid figures than liquid. 
    I wasn't quite sure what I was going for when I first started but ideas began developing and I think I got some very nice photos out of the water drops. If I were to do this again, I would probably use additional lights to create a more stable, shadow free pool of water. Also I would use a cleaner white dish because I noticed that even the smallest amount of dust will appear with the use of the flash. I hope you enjoy the pictures. I originally took about fifty but these are the ones I think came out best.

(Click to enlarge) 





No comments:

Post a Comment