Sunday, March 17, 2013

Experimental Lighting

 
    This week I began to try out some different lighting strategies. I've never really used a serious light set up but have seen how many photographers have utilized lighting to create some pretty incredible images. Because I dont own any lights besides my flash I decided to play around with a smaller subject and smaller lights. For this I used an elefant model and chess pieces along with some tiny finger lights that I hope to use for more light painting in the future. This allowed me to create a scaled down version of what a photographer's studio might look like. I spent quite a while trying out different lighting angles and avoided using my flash so that I could focus on the placement of the smaller lights.


    I wasn't able to take any truly great shots simply because I was experimenting and don't quite have the equipment needed for taking studio lit quality photos. I also focused less on the subject and more on how different lighting angles affected the image. Overall I thought this experiment was successful, even If I did only got a couple decent shots. Once I have a few real lights and a backdrop I'm sure that this experiment will help me. This also forced me to be a little more creative and gave me a bit of a challenge which makes things more fun.

   Also, I'm not sure how many people consistently check my blog but If anyone who reads this has a suggestion for any photos to take or something interesting to film or even simply to experiment with something related to cameras, just comment and I will try it out and post it one week.



No comments:

Post a Comment